Published on May 8th, 2017 | by Michelle Roper-Shaw
Win and Create a Records Archive with Bankers Boxes
Here is your chance to win a selection of Bankers Boxes to create your own records archive. In our working lives, efficient record keeping is an important discipline.
In our previous article last month, Time to Declutter with Fellowes we covered how you can easily organise your home as part of a spring clean or house move using Fellowes wide range of storage solutions.
Cardboard storage boxes, such as the Bankers Box selection are cost effective and also ideal to create a records archive in the office.
Guide to Creating a Records Archive
Are your office filing cabinets brimming to full capacity? Maybe it is time to move those old papers into a records archive.
Regardless of the size of your company, good archiving practice is essential. Legal and financial obligations ensure that certain documents need to be kept for a statutory time period. However, these documents which are not required on an everyday basis should be stored separately to your general everyday office filing. This ensures they are kept in good condition and remain secure and not prone to loss or misplacement.
Top 5 Records Archive Tips
When creating your paper archive, bear these five tips in mind.
- Shred any unnecessary documents. Not all documents need to be kept in an archive. Before hurriedly clearing out your filing cabinet and putting everything in a storage box, double check whether every document actually needs to be kept.
- How long does the document/file need to be retained for? Ensure you know the retention date for each document. This will depend on whether it is required for HMRC requirements, industry regulations or comes under Data Protection Act requirements. Next year, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) comes into force on 25th May 2018. If your business deals with customer personal data, ensure you know your obligations under this new legislation.
- Ensure quick document retrieval. You will not need the documents you store in archive every day. However, on those occasions when they are required, you want to find them as quickly as possible. Barcoding items, particularly if your records are kept in a different location enables fast retrieval. Alternatively, for smaller archives, ensure you have a good colour coded, filing system in place.
- Allocate the right space. This does not just apply to the amount of space you need. A paper archive needs to be in a place where the contents can be secure and protected against damage. Keep your storage boxes stored on high density shelving in order to keep the protected against dust, debris and moisture.
- Don’t forget about your archive. It is easy to think “out of sight, out of mind” once you have established your archive. Yet, you need to have an effective management system in place in order to maintain your archive. Once retention dates have passed, securely destroy documents, by shredding or use a professional shredding service.
3 for 2 Bankers Boxes at The Post Office Shop
There is a great deal to be had right now on selected Bankers Boxes at the Post Office Shop. Get 3 for 2 when you buy Fellowes Bankers Box System Storage Boxes until 30th June 2017.
Fellowes R-Kive Large Bankers Box Storage Archive System Supplied in a pack of 10, these FastFold boxes will store ring binders, lever arch files or box files. They are supplied flat packed for easy storage and are 50% stronger than basic strength storage boxes, ideal for archival use.
Fellowes R-Kive Standard Bankers Box Storage Archive System Supplied in a pack of 10, you can easily transfer A4 or foolscap suspension files into these boxes for long term storage.
Fellowes Bankers Box System 120mm Foolscap Transfer Files Supplied in a pack of 10, these 100% recycled PEFC certified cardboard files allow you to store foolscap and A4 documents such as financial and annual reports.
Win a Pack of 10 Large Storage Bankers Boxes
To be in with a chance to win this pack of Fellowes R-Kive Large Bankers Boxes with a combined retail value of over £30.00, simply enter your name and email address in the box below and you will be automatically entered into our sweepstake.
The closing date for this competition is midnight Sunday 21st May 2017. Three lucky winners will be selected at random and notified by email on Monday 22nd May. Good luck everyone!