Published on May 15th, 2014 | by admin0
Trinity House Is Opening Its Doors To The Public This Weekend
To mark the 500th anniversary of Henry VIII’s maritime guild, Trinity House on Tower Hill in London will be open to the public this coming Saturday.
It was way back in 1514 that a young King Henry VIII granted a Royal Charter to a fraternity of mariners known as the Guild of the Holy Trinity so that they might regulate the pilotage of ships in the King’s streams.
For one day only to mark this milestone event in British maritime history, people can see for themselves the interior of this fascinating building which was built in 1794 and illustrates the nation’s nautical heritage through all the valuable paintings and antiques contained within the premises.
We learn that Trinity House takes its shortened name from ‘The Master, Wardens and Assistants of the Guild, Fraternity or Brotherhood of the most glorious and undivided Trinity and of St. Clement in the Parish of Deptford Strond, in the County of Kent’.
As the largest endowed maritime charity in the UK, Trinity House donates several million pounds worth of funding to charitable projects each year including cadet training schemes and educational programmes teaching safety at sea skills.
Amongst the items which will be on display at Trinity House on Saturday is the brass bell from the Royal Yacht Britannia which was decommissioned in 1997.
Even today the building is used for maritime related purposes as it is the working office of the General Lighthouse Authority (GLA) for England, Wales, the Channel Islands and Gibraltar. With obligations to assist the safe passage of a range of vessels of all sizes, the GLA deploys a huge array of aids to navigation, operating around the clock.
Having welcomed royalty, prime ministers and Lords of the Admiralty, Trinity House is managed by Deputy Master, Captain Ian McNaught and has a coat of arms with the Latin motto ‘Trinitas in Unitate’ which means ‘Three In One’ and relates to the Holy Trinity from where it took its name.
Celebrations to mark the milestone of this historical institution include a brilliant uncirculated £2 coin and Trinity House will be open to the general public on Saturday 17 May from 10am to 3pm.