Published on June 26th, 2017 | by Michelle Roper-Shaw
Top Packing Tips for Moving House
The summer is the busiest time of year for moving house. Right now at the Post Office there is a great 3 for 2 deal on SmoothMove boxes from Fellowes.
Moving house is always a stressful business. So, any helpful tips to make the process a little easier are always welcome. One of the major worries we have during a house move is packing all our precious belongings.
Top 10 Tips to Packing Your Removals
- Declutter. Preparing to move house is the ideal time to clear out your clutter. We previously gave out some good advice in our previous article Time to Declutter with Fellowes. Think about what items you can donate to charity or sell at an online auction or car boot sale.
- Prioritise. Think about each room. What do you need to pack? Non-essential items can be packed in advance whilst items you use on daily basis can be packed closer to your moving day.
- How many boxes will you need? A common mistake is to underestimate how many boxes you will need. Most importantly, remember not to over fill boxes. You may think that you can fit all the books on you shelf in a couple of boxes yet these items will be very heavy to lift. A good guide is to ensure no box weighs more than 15kg.
- Choose the right box and packing materials: Heavy items need sturdy boxes, and so double walled, corrugated construction is a must. Also, make sure you have plenty of bubble wrap and packing paper to protect fragile items. Fill any empty gaps in your boxes with packing material to ensure the contents do not move around in transit.
- Pack one room at a time. This will ensure you can keep organised and know what work is outstanding.
- Label every box. Make sure you write on each box; a box number, the name of the room, the contents of the box. If a box is heavy, then make sure the box is labelled as such.
- Make a list of your belongings. You will then have an inventory to check once you unpack later. This will be invaluable in the event of any items going missing or being damaged during your moving day.
- Keep hazardous materials separate. Cleaning materials, paints and other hazardous chemicals should be packed separately and should be marked as hazardous on the box.
- Essential Items. Which items will you need access to immediately once you unpack, i.e. kettle, cups and tea-bags? Make sure these are the last items to be placed in the removals van so you will have them straight away when you reach your new home.
- Emergency Survival Kit. Finally, if you have followed our guide you should be all set for a smooth move. However, house moves can always throw up surprises. Last minute legal glitches may mean your move is delayed overnight. Pack a suitcase as a standby in case you must stay with friends, family or in a hotel overnight should the unexpected occur.
3 for 2 on SmoothMove Boxes
If you are preparing for a house move this summer, now is the time to stock up on removal boxes.
Get 3 for the price of 2 SmoothMove removal and ship and store boxes until Friday 30th June 2017. These boxes are designed to be tough and secure to give you peace of mind when moving. Find out more about this great offer here.