Published on July 31st, 2014 | by admin0
Time To Take A Journey On A Classic Locomotive Of England
The summer is the perfect time to take a ride on one of the magnificent steam engines from a bygone era and when recalling some of the classic locomotives of England, the Dean Goods Class is one that certainly springs to mind.
Named after William Dean who invented the standards goods engine for the Great Western Railway, Dean Goods Class steam locomotives featured inside frames and a boiler design not previously seen. This class of steam locomotive was built between 1883 and 1899 with the last of them withdrawn from service in May 1957.
Used solely for freight purposes, the Great Western Railway built 260 Dean Goods locomotives, many of which were utilised during both the First and Second World War.
Illustrating the accomplished design and engineering of these locomotives which was admired beyond the UK, over 60 of these locomotives were sent to France during the First World War and more were acquired by the French during the Second World War. A further 20 of these locomotives also made their way to China in the same period.
However by the 1950’s these locomotives were only being used for light duties such as hauling passenger trains.
Another locomotive company of interest from a bygone era is Peckett & Sons which was established from Fox Walker in 1881. Thomas Peckett and his four sons became renowned for producing industrial locomotives based on ‘specialisation and standardisation’. Peckett & Sons flourished during the First World War taking new orders and undertaking locomotive repairs.
Then, post-World War One, Peckett & Sons was commissioned by the Tunnel Portland Cement company in 1925, and the Peckett works number 1689 known as ‘Thor’ was constructed. This locomotive was based in Thurrock where it remained until it was scrapped in 1965. This industrial locomotive is remembered as a compact, powerful and rugged piece of engineering.
Based in Bristol until 1962 when they were taken over by Reed Crane & Hoist Company of Brighouse, Peckett & Sons failed to embrace the emergence of diesel technology which proved their downfall.
Meanwhile the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway locomotive featured in the Framed Classic Locomotives of Great Britain is photographed at Liverpool Exchange Station in 1909 pulling a passenger train to Hull.
Produced at their headquarters in Horwich, the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway locomotive company was the third largest organisation of the time in northern England owning 1,650 locomotives.
From 1847 until it amalgamated with the London and North Western Railway in 1922, Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway also controlled much of the track signaling and was the first to introduce electrification of some of its lines and also ran steamboat services to France and Ireland from the mainland.
Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway led the way at the time with many developments in the design and construction of locomotives. Most former routes operated by the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway are now controlled by Northern Rail.
Completing the classic locomotives of Great Britain is the focus on over 700 heavy-freight ‘Austerity’ locomotives which were built for military service during World War Two. They are particularly remembered for transporting goods and troops after the D-Day invasion of 1944.
Designed in a minimalist style meaning they were cheap and easy to construct, these austerity locomotives were transferred to British Railways in the 1950’s following the end of World War Two. Many of these locomotives also ended up in all four corners of the globe.