Published on October 12th, 2017 | by Sarah Jubb0
Step Into The World Of STAR WARS™
December 15th will see the release of the STAR WARS™ The Last Jedi, the next chapter in the saga that has spanned decades. To celebrate the new film, Royal Mail has released a series of special first class stamps featuring STAR WARS characters new and old.
2017 marks a special year for STAR WARS as it not only will STAR WARS: The Last Jedi be released in December, but May 25th also marked the 40th anniversary since the original STAR WARS ran in theatres. It became an instant hit and has become an integral part of culture in both the United States and the United Kingdom.
The UK has a long history with STAR WARS with every film being shot in British studios, from Leavesden Studios for STAR WARS: A New Hope to Pinewood Studios for STAR WARS: The Last Jedi. In celebration of the major contribution that Britain has given to the film series, Royal Mail has issued a new series of special STAR WARS themed stamps.
Aliens And Droids
The eight Special Stamps that have been released feature both new and classic characters that have made appearances throughout the iconic films, including the first STAR WARS standalone film Rogue One: A STAR WARS Story.
The stamps have been brilliant rendered in exquisite detail by British artist Malcolm Tween, who also designed the popular STAR WARS stamps issued in 2015. These new stamps feature four ‘droid’ stamps that also have a special feature that can only be seen under UV light. This is a fluorescent ink that emphasises some of design features of the stamps.
Along with this, a unique feature is that the font that has been used for the ‘1st‘ value of the stamps replicates the iconic typeface of STAR WARS. These stamps are a must have collectible item for any avid STAR WARS fan.
Characters New And Old
The characters featured on the new STAR WARS stamps range from old favourites such as Chewbacca, R2-D2 and C-3PO, first featured in the original STAR WARS in 1977, to the new alien character Porg who will make its first appearance in STAR WARS: The Last Jedi. A full list of the first class stamps is featured below:
- Maz Kanata – Over a thousand years old and an ex-pirate herself, Maz holds court within the galaxy’s underworld: smugglers, bounty hunters and thieves. Maz has also been a friend to Jedi, and her castle contains secrets that tell of one Luke Skywalker
- Chewbacca – Brought back into the orbit of the Resistance after many years of freelance adventuring, Chewbacca witnesses the tragic death of his best friend, Han Solo. All he has left is the pictured Millennium Falcon.
- Supreme Leader Snoke – The shadowy figure who leads the First Order and orders the creation of a giant planet-sized superweapon called Starkiller.
- Porg – A small flightless bird, they are native to the remote planet Ahch-To, where Luke Skywalker is living in exile and provides the backdrop the scene.
- BB-8 – Assigned to Poe Dameron to provide flight assistance when piloting his X-wing fighter, BB-8 is separated from his master in a deadly battle with Kylo Ren.
- R2-D2 – The trusty little droid who has seen so much adventure, first on board Queen Amidala’s ship during the Battle of Naboo, then in the Clone Wars alongside Anakin Skywalker, and with Luke Skywalker in the fight against the Empire
- C-3PO – Created by Anakin Skywalker as a young boy on Tatooine to be a helper for his mother, the protocol droid became an expert in diplomatic matters. The reluctant and nervous droid has helped his friends save the day numerous time, from the Clone Wars to the Rebellion against the Empire.
- K-2SO – With a blunt and honest way of talking, the reprogrammed Imperial security droid is on the side of the Rebel Alliance in their fight against the Empire. Able to blend in for reconnaissance work behind Imperial lines provides him with an excellent advantage.
These new special stamps are available to buy on October 12th 2017 with STAR WARS The Last Jedi being released in December. Take a look at the full range of STAR WARS collectibles available on the Post Office Shop including new display packs such as the R2-D2 Display Pack; perfect for fans to show off their collection.
© 2017 & TM Lucasfilm Ltd.