Published on August 17th, 2018 | by Sam Rose
Royal Mail Trial Parcel Postboxes
An update on this article can be found here
The Royal Mail have announced a new trial of the first ever parcel postboxes in the UK.
The planned trial is set to take place across Northampton and Leicester up until the 5th of November 2018. Should the trial be a success, Royal Mail may plan to roll out parcel letterboxes across the country in the near future. 30 parcel postboxes will be installed across both locations, with 17 available in the town of Northampton and 13 in the city of Leicester.
How You Can Use the Parcel Postboxes
If you live near or in any of the areas mentioned where the trial is taking place, then you can use them right now. All that is required is that the right postage has been applied to your item and that the size of your item is able to fit through the opening slot. The new postboxes are easy to spot, with their larger opening slot and secure design. For those who send out parcels on a regular basis, the postboxes will provide a safer and more convenient way to post them.
Do you live in Northampton or Leicester?
We’re trialling the first ever parcel postboxes in the UK to make it easier for you to post your pre-paid, barcoded parcels in the same way you post letters.
— Royal Mail (@RoyalMail) August 13, 2018
Interesting Facts about the Postbox
Royal Mail’s new trial will be the biggest change to the postbox in over 160 years. But did you know these other interesting facts about the humble postbox too?
- The first ever postbox was trialed in Jersey in 1852. Due to their popularity and success, they were then rolled out across the UK in 1853 by novelist and senior GPO executive, Anthony Trollope.
- The most popular colours for postboxes worldwide are red, yellow and blue.
- Due to Britain’s success in the 2012 London Olympics, every gold medalist received acknowledgment of their achievement with a postbox painted gold, usually in their home town.
- More than 20,000 wall-box style Post Boxes were manufactured and installed across Britain during 1952 and 1980.
- A majority of Post and Pillar Boxes are traditionally finished with the Latin initials of the current reigning King or Queen.
Postal Supplies from the Post Office Shop
Remember that you can find all of your essential Postal Supplies on the Post Office Shop. Whether it’s Mailing Boxes, Postal Tubes or anything from our Packaging and Mailing range, you can be sure that the Post Office Shop website has you covered for all of your postage and mailing needs.