Published on June 5th, 2017 | by Michelle Roper-Shaw0
World Environment Day
Today, June 5th is World Environment Day. This year’s theme is all about connecting people to nature.
The first World Environment Day was celebrated on 5th June 1974 and since then, every year, all the countries around the world mark this day. Its aim is to combat the ever-rising problems of global warming, deforestation, wildlife habitation crisis as well as increasing pollution.
This year, Canada is hosting the event. It chose the theme “connecting people with nature” for this year’s activities. Encouraging people to enjoy the outdoors and appreciate our planet are key to ensuring we protect the environment for future generations.
How to Get Involved in World Environment Day
There are many great ideas on how you can play your part in World Environment Day on their website worldenvironmentday.global.
Here are just a few ideas to inspire you.
- Visit your local park – Enjoy the outdoors close to your home or take yourself away from your desk. Make a list of the wildlife, flowers, plants you see. Take photos and share them on social media using the hashtags #WorldEnvironmentDay and #WithNature.
- Plant a tree – Whether it is in your garden, school or workplace, green surroundings lift the spirits as well as help the environment. If you are celebrating a birth, wedding or other significant anniversary in your family, planting a tree is a great way to commemorate the event.
- Take a hike or picnic – Appreciate nature by taking some time to go for a hike or picnic. In particular, if you spend the majority of your time in an urban landscape, the fresh air of the countryside will give you a new sense of perspective.
- Arrange a litter picking activity – If there is an area near your home, school or workplace that needs some TLC, arrange a litter picking expedition with your family and friends.
- Swap to eco-friendly household and office products – Everything we can do to cut down on waste makes a difference. Whether you buy recycled paper or look for products which do not include excess packaging. Even the type of tea you choose is important. Many teabags include tiny particles of plastic and so choose loose tea instead.
Is Your Office Green?
Whilst we may be very environmentally conscious in our homes, we sometimes forget once we reach the office. Here at the Post Office Shop we have an extensive Green Office range. From packaging to eco-friendly desktop accessories you can start to make a difference and go green.