Published on April 30th, 2017 | by Michelle Roper-Shaw0
How Neat is Your Handwriting?
Today we are all encouraged to Write a Letter on the final day of National Stationery Week. With a third of us admitting we rarely write anymore, how neat is your handwriting.
Earlier this year, we celebrated National Handwriting Day. This event was marked at schools across the UK and emphasised the importance of teaching this important life skill to our children.
Despite the decline in people writing regularly, a survey carried out by Stabilo for National Stationery Week found that many of us still judge people by the way they write.
Whilst 39% of the 2,000 people surveyed felt handwriting was less important due to email and digital messaging, over half stated they judged people on their handwriting.
In our article yesterday, What Your Signature Says About You we covered how you sign your name gives an insight into your personality. The same can be said about your general handwriting style.
Here are some interesting findings from this handwriting survey.
- 4 out of 10 women think they have neat handwriting and only 16% of women believe their handwriting is scruffy.
- Only a quarter of men believe they have neat handwriting. Meanwhile. 26% say their handwriting is scruffy.
- 46% say their signature differs from their everyday writing style.
- Seven out of 10 have a medium sized handwriting (8-12mm). This depicts a reliable and supportive nature according to handwriting experts.
- A quarter have a small sized handwriting style (7mm of less). This depicts someone who is self-conscientious.
- 3% have large handwriting (13mm or more). This depicts a person who is generous with no inhibitions.
- 30% have handwriting which leans to the right, which suggests a friendly nature.
- 1 in 10 have left leaning handwriting, thought to show a cynical nature.
Nearly half of the people surveyed stated they felt their handwriting had not changed since they were 16 years old. The main tasks for which we still write by hand are:
- Writing a shopping list
- Writing a to-do list
- Filling in a form.
Not very inspiring are they really?
Write a Letter Today
So, on Write a Letter Day get into the habit of writing more frequently. Say Thank You in a Letter, for example.
For the gentlemen amongst you, take note of this. Apparently 78% of women would like to be sent a love letter or poem, yet only 50% of men have actually written one.
The Post Office Shop range of Basildon Bond Writing Paper and Envelopes will ensure your letters look their best and impress their grateful recipients. Available to buy now with next working day delivery.
Did You Know?
Over 7,000 Americans die each year and 1,500,000 are injured because of their doctors’ bad handwriting?