Published on August 21st, 2014 | by admin0
Classic Locomotives Of Scotland
Concluding our look back at some classic locomotives from different parts of the United Kingdom, this week we celebrate Scotland’s steam railway origins and recall the earliest railways north of the border.
It was 1722 when Scotland’s first railway was constructed in East Lothian having been authorised by an Act of Parliament. Known as the Tranent to Cockenzie Waggonway, the line was first utilised by the Duke of Portland’s Kilmarnock & Troon Railway when it opened in 1812.
For the purposes of carrying coal over wooden rails from the Duke’s pits to the harbour at Troon, the line was first used by ‘The Duke’ which was a George Stephenson locomotive.
As the network of tracks extended in Scotland which were built for commercial and industrial purposes to convey coal to local waterways, many railway companies emerged across Scotland evolving into five established operators: Caledonian Railway (CR), North British Railway (NBR), Glasgow & South Western Railway (G&SWR), Highland Railway (HR) and the Great North of Scotland Railway (GNSR).
Amongst the classic locomotives of Scotland that are fondly remembered in context of the railway heritage north of the border, the BR D34 numbers 62471 (Glen Falloch) and 62496 (Glen Loy) are certainly worthy of mention. Built by the NBR at Cowlairs in 1920 to 1921 to the design of W P Reid, these steam trains featured superheaters and a 4-4-0 configuration.
Another steam engine with Scottish origins widely admired from the past is the BR D40 number 62276. Built in 1920 to the design of T E Heywood, this 4-4-0 configuration locomotive was also superheated.
Meanwhile the Andrew Barclay number 807 which is also included in the Classic Locomotives of Scotland miniature stamps sheet and presentation pack was built by Andrew Barclay Sons and Company of Kilmarnock who specialised in manufacturing industrial steam engines. Built in 1897, this train from a bygone era belonged to Aberdeen Gas Works.
Completing the set of stamps featured in the Classic Locomotives Of Scotland collection is the Highland Railway BR 4P number 50767 with a 4-6-0 configuration. Designed by Christopher Cumming and manufactured by Hawthorn Leslie, this was one of the last Highland railway locomotives to remain in service.